CODA Inc. is committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of personal information. In broad terms this means that we will:
- Only collect personal information about individuals, their support needs, and sometimes their family and financial information, which is needed to provide a quality service.
- Ensure that the individual and/or their family are aware of the information collected and how it will be managed and stored.
- Only use or disclose information for its primary purpose, or for another purpose with written consent, unless it is required by law.
- Ensure all information is either securely stored or destroyed, protecting it from unauthorised access.
- Only retain information while it is relevant to service delivery, or for the period authorised by the Public Records Act.
- Ensure that personal and health information is accurate, complete, up to date and relevant.
- Ensure that individuals can access personal and health information and correct that information if it is inaccurate, incomplete or not current.
- Ensure that where an individual is unable to give consent, either verbally or in writing, that we request permission of that individual’s nominated next of kin prior to obtaining or disclosing any personal or health information.
An individual has the right to obtain access to their personal information that CODA Inc. holds, and to advise of any perceived inaccuracy.
Written request should be directed to the:
PO Box 370
The CEO will act as the Privacy Officer for CODA Inc.
An individual who believes that his/her privacy has been breached may complain to the Health Services Commissioner or Privacy Commissioner, who will attempt to conciliate the complaint. If conciliation fails, the individual may take the complaint to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). VCAT can make binding determinations to resolve complaints.